Kelly Eden

Graduated from Denver School of the Arts in 2007, currently attending Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design for Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts with an emphasis on Painting. Graduate applicant of 2011

"Art is more than a beautiful object to hang on the wall. It is a vehicle for understanding myself."

"Making art is like dreaming. It is a way to sort out the problems of my mind. In this way, art is about expressing personal issues. Art functions simultaneously as a therapeutic process and as a method for expressing my attitudes and beliefs. Besides functioning as a therapeutic tool, I also use art to discuss the issues I face as a woman in this society. I create paintings and drawings that express my inner conflicts, misery, and desires. These conflicts have to do with my personal experiences concerning struggling with my identity, and exploring the differences between looking at myself, women, and men. There are many confusing messages that society sends to women, and in my art I raise these issues for both myself and the viewer to ponder. Another important aspect of my work is the question of who is the artist and who is the object of the art. I create self-portraits that complicate the idea of the artistic genius capturing the object of beauty. By the "object of beauty", I am referring to the way that artists have been involved with depicting the "ideal" female and how there really is no fixed perception of what is ideal. The standards of beauty are forever evolving, in accordance with the fashion of the time, and I am concerned with society's message that there is a "perfect" kind of woman that we must live up to. "

As an artist, I see my concept as the foundation for all my work; it’s the building blocks for my process, my choice in materials, the way I use color, and how I create texture or light. The creation process in my paintings comes out in a pattern. I begin a piece by drawing the figure on the canvas; I’ll also draw contour lines of shape, value, actual line, texture, and form. When I draw my outline; I am reminded that the primary and secondary contours I draw acts as information, not the actual painting. When working with a model or a picture, I always pay attention to the reflective light and color on the figure. As I mentioned before, the painting’s concept is the foundation of my painting, the colors I choose always play a major role in what I want to present to the viewer. I try to refer to the psychological characteristics attributed to a color, each color has specific wavelength (referring to a gradation, shade, or tint). I tend to over exaggerate the intensity or saturation of reflected colors and light, which seems to define my style.

I am very interested in the evolution of individuals, the contrast of childhood and adulthood. I am fascinated with what behavior or morals develop over time that shape who we are as people today? Who are the people who have the most impact on us and how do they affect us? I am very interested in my own evolution and showing it to the viewer, which is why I paint myself in most of my paintings. My art expresses who I am, what I have learned, what I have experienced, and what I see in the people that have the biggest impact on me. I paint myself because they are my emotions, no one else’s, it’s the best way I feel that I can push emotion to the viewer. I sometimes humorously refer to

my paintings as “Visual Satire”. I believe that all art mirrors the artist; regardless of concept or visual presentation, when one looks at a piece of art they are looking at the artist’s personal expression. When I paint, I feel that I am able to express everything that I struggle to say with words. When people see my work, I hope that it will mirror the viewer as well, that they will be able to find something to relate to.