Jeff Berger Artist statement

The story of why I am an artist starts when I was born. I was surrounded by artistic creativity, from both sides of my family and from the world itself, so being an artist felt like it was always part of my DNA. When I first attended art school, I wanted to continue the artistic tradition, as my father is a pottery artist and his father is a watercolor artist.  My talent was cultivated at a young age and it was enjoyable. One of the earliest signs of my artistic creativity was in my early schooling.  We had to draw people and nobody knew a good way to draw a nose. After I discovered a way to draw noses, some of fellow classmates ask me how to do it. At one point later on in life, my classmates and I took a test and it described me as ‘random abstract’.

For me, my work has two rules: Give the people what they want, and give multiple choices that are all fun and different to best serve their needs. Working on various projects has taught me that I can have a different opinion on something I have made, but if the client likes it and wants it, then I have accomplished the goal.  You should want the client to like your work, but you should also enjoy how it turned out, otherwise you will look at your work with a sense of creative dread.  Now, because most of us see steps A, B, and C, my thought process always had a few extra steps added that went off the beaten path and made things interesting.  This made being creative in all the different kinds of art really fun for me.

While some of my work was created art for assignments, I have also been involved in producing masks for the Fort Collins Museum of Art (MOA) annual fundraiser, which include such pop culture icons as Alfred E. Newman (the MAD magazine kid), Stuart the Minion (The little yellow things from the Despicable Me movies), and the Beatles. My creativity has also been part of my many personal projects, from costumes for Halloween and conventions, to creating a web series on YouTube.  Why be creative just for work when you can have fun all the time?  Creating art is something enjoyable but I take my work and its creation seriously, especially if it is for a client.  If an artist is working for commission, the artist should make sure to give their client and the project their best and make sure the project fits the requirements of the client.  Now, while having a sense of fun is a reoccurring theme in my work, I sometimes have to show I am not just a one trick pony.  I can also create art that is serious, as I once created for an assignment a poster for the Sexual Assault Victim Advocate center (SAVA).